A Truly Scary Moment
I was trembling, fear was rushing through my body, like a roaring river during the spring melt. I was on my way to confront a man that had wronged me. A man that I had never had the nerve to say no to. To prepare I put on my cowboy boots, the boots that made me feel like I was a kick-ass woman. I put on my leather jacket, it made me feel bulletproof. I put on a belt with a horseshoe buckle, it made me feel connected to the powerful stallion from my favorite childhood book “The Black Beauty”. In my pocket, I carried a crystal my sister had given to me as a blessing years ago… not quite sure why I brought it, but it felt important. In my back pocket, I carried my weapon, a letter from his “other” girlfriend I had just found.
My Warrior Avatar
The young woman I “knew” myself to be did not have enough power or courage to speak up for herself. I didn’t know it then, but what I had done was to create an Avatar. In my Warrior Avatar I was able to access courage and clarity that allows me to speak up for myself and set a really strong boundary with a man that was taking advantage of my naivety.
The Power of Cowboy Boots
Afterward, I felt like it was someone other than me that was speaking to that man during the confrontation. I know now that it was me. It was the part of me that could access my warrior self. I have since become very familiar and close with my inner warrior and I know when to let her out and when to hold her back. I still have those cowboy boots in my closet. But I no longer need them to access my warrior energy. All I do is call on my warrior self.
Why you may want to stand like a superhero
And there is now research to prove that this works! Amy Cuddy is a researcher at Harvard University who studies body language and the impact it has on your hormones. Cuddy and her research team studies the impact of high power and low power poses. High power poses increase testosterone by 20 percent and decreases cortisol levels by 25 percent. Higher levels of testosterone lead to increased feelings of confidence. Also, lower levels of cortisol lead to decreased anxiety and an improved ability to deal with stress. In other words, your hormone levels can make you feel more confident and less stressed. Click here if you want to read more about this research or see Amy’s Ted Talk
Your Turn -Your 30 day Challenge – Learn to Access You Inner Warrior At Will
For the next 30 days practice this exercise to strengthen you ability to call on your inner warrior at will.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Bend your knees slightly. Allow your feet to conform to the ground below. Feel your thighs, feel your legs, feel your feet, feel your connection to the ground below. Imagine roots growing out from under your feet deep into the earth
- Roll your shoulders up and back a couple of times and feel them sink down and back, aligned over your hips.
- Feel your chest get pulled up and forward like there is a string attached to your sternum pulling up and out.
- Feel your breath sink down into your belly. Notice how your belly is expanding as you breath in.
- Feel your head held high and centered on top of your body.
- Feel the rod that is connecting the top of your head through your center, and down in to the ground.
- Open your eyes and focus straight ahead.
- Become aware of your sword, hanging by your side. Maybe put your hand on its hilt. Or put your hands on your hips, as if you really mean it.
- Feel the energy flowing through your body.
- Take 10 deep breaths into your belly. Breath in, hold, breath out, hold.
Once you become familiar with this energy you can call on it at any moment, how’s that for power!
A Healthy Warrior
A healthy warrior is aware of her power. She is aware that her sword is sharp and can be deadly. She only wields it when absolutely necessary and then with sharp clarity and in full integrity. She can set clear boundaries about what is and what is not acceptable to her. She can speak up when her boundaries are broken, and she has the courage to speak up for those who can’t. She is clear on what is right, and on what is wrong. She is not afraid to stand in the path of injustice and take it on.
How is your warrior? Do you have access to her?
Call me to set up a time to talk about how you can get access to your inner warrior in a clean and clear way and how to stop her from hurting others. Set up a time to talk here.